“Crazy Cat Lady” is so passé. According to Wikipedia, “A cat lady is a cultural archetype or a stock character, often depicted as a single woman, a middle-aged or elderly spinster, who owns many pet cats.” Gone are the days of the Cat Lady. Say hello to Plant Lady!
Plants liven up any room, and most rooms could use that extra personal touch. Well-placed houseplants not only brighten up your area, they also purify the air and create a calming ambiance.
Here are the top 5 reasons why being the Plant Lady is the NEW Cat Lady:
1. Plants are quite easy to care for
– There are many kinds of plants, some that require more care than others. Some of the most common “plant divas” that are high maintenance include dahlias, lilies, roses, and petunias. If you don’t have a green thumb, it’s best to stay away from these varieties. Some of the best low-maintenance houseplants that are easy to care for and require little attention include aloes, bromeliads, jades, rabbit’s ear, cacti, and spider plants. Now, although cats don’t really need to be cared for as much as dogs do, they can still require much attention when compared to plants.
2.Plants are known to improve air quality
– One of the most common childhood chronic diseases is asthma, which has been linked to poor indoor air quality. Using houseplants is often considered a “natural” type of air filtration. Plants not only remove carbon dioxide and release oxygen back into the air, they also remove toxic substances from water, air, and soil.
3. Plants are a fun and relaxing hobby
– Gardening and taking care of plants can be very relaxing. You can even arrange and rearrange your plants on a whim to suit your mood. Having indoor plants brings the benefits of the outdoors inside. Certain types of flowers, such as lavender, can be calming, providing soothing relaxation effects. Cats, on the other hand, might not be as relaxing. And…they can be pests by knocking over your lovely plants!
4. Plants don’t need a litter box
– Anyone with cats can relate. Scooping litter, smelly litter, and messy litter granules on the floor are daily feats and ongoing tasks. The only mess plants may cause is the occasional leaf that might fall to the ground. Oh, and not to mention that plants don’t shed the way cats do!
5. Plants don’t take up a lot of space
– Believe it or not, you can fit a lot of plants of various sizes into your home. Windowsills, shelves, countertops, tables, and floors all provide a place for your houseplant. Although cats are small, and by themselves do not take up much room, you should remember their litter box, toys, food/water,
and bedding tend to take up a lot of space.If your dream was to one day live alone with a pile of cats, spending your day feeding and cleaning up after them, thus becoming The Cat Lady, end that dream. Grab a bamboo plant, get in your Zen mood, and begin your journey to becoming The Plant Lady!!