With the summer months coming to an end and children returning to school, the time is right to think about scheduling eye exams for you and your family. August is National Eye Exam month, the perfect time to schedule a comprehensive eye exam. Eye exams are not only important for maintaining clear, but they can also give your eye doctor a better indication of your overall health.
“Sears Optical founded National Eye Exam Month in 1989 and since then, most ophthalmologists promote eye safety throughout the month. Most sponsor Eye Care America, a campaign for seniors ages 65 and up that can qualify for a free eye exam. Not only is August National Eye Exam Month, but it is also Cataracts Awareness Month. People over the age of 55 should be very cautious of Cataracts, an eye disease that clouds the lens of the eyes and can lead to vision loss. Those who have Cataracts Disease may experience, extremely blurry vision, a glare, colors that may appear faded and double vision.” (http://freedom-homehealthcare.com/august-national-eye-exam-month/)
WHY DO I NEED AN EYE EXAM?
Eye exams are an important part of healthcare for everyone…including children. There are many reasons why you should have an annual eye exam, but here are the top 4 reasons:
- Keep Your Prescription Up-To-Date – An optometrist can determine if you need eyeglasses or contact lenses, or if you need a stronger prescription to reduce eyestrain and help you see better. Everyone knows that your eyes change over time.
- Detect Underlying Eye Conditions – An optometrist is able to notice the early onset signs of diabetes, high blood pressure, glaucoma, cataracts, hypertension, and high cholesterol just by conducting an eye exam. During your exam, your eye doctor will look for eye muscle imbalance, vision disorders, and eye disease that could potentially cause future problems.
- Reduce Headaches – If you have been having constant headaches that are unexplained, the problem could lie with your vision. An eye care professional can pinpoint the problem of your headaches, and help to give you the relief you deserve.
- Improve Children’s School Performance – 25% of school-aged children have vision problems, which is a common reason they fall behind in school. Eye exams for children are extremely important to ensure normal vision development, and to detect a vision problem that can contribute to possible learning and reading difficulties. Early identification of a child’s vision problem can be crucial because children often are more responsive to treatment when problems are diagnosed early.
WHAT PRECAUTIONS DO I NEED TO TAKE TO PROTECT MY EYES?
No matter your age, there are precautions you can take to protect your eyes and prevent long-term issues:
- Do not use others’ eye medication or glasses
- Do not smoke
- Use UV-protected sunglasses
- Do not use aerosol sprays, such as hairspray, near your eyes
- Make sure to have good lighting when reading, watching TV, or working on the computer
- Use a clean towel and water when washing your face
The staff at Avanti Senior Living ensure that their residents enjoy comprehensive medical, health and wellness services. The health and well-being of their residents are their top priority, and they guarantee that every step is taken to accommodate each resident’s personal needs.
It is imperative to make sure that your eyes are taken care of. So set up an eye exam today, and post on social media using #NationalEyeExamMonth to spread the word!!