If you are the primary caregiver for a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia, you may be feeling overwhelmed and stressed. The good news is that you are not alone! Many families are in the same situation. One option that you may be considering is moving your loved one into a memory care community. This can be a difficult decision, but it may be the best thing for everyone involved.
Benefits of Moving into Memory Care
There are many key benefits that come from moving a loved one with dementia into a memory care community.
• First and foremost, your loved one will be safe and well-cared for 24 hours a day. This peace of mind is priceless. Knowing that your loved one is in a safe and secure environment can help you to relax and enjoy your time with them, without worrying about their safety.
• Memory care communities provide cognitive and social stimulation through activities, outings, and events specifically designed for residents with dementia. These activities can help slow the progression of the disease and improve quality of life.
• Memory care communities can help lighten your load and provide much-needed support. The staff can take on some of the caregiving tasks, giving you a break.
• They can also provide respite care if you need an extended break. Being able to take care of yourself is crucial when you are a caregiver.
• Memory care communities have the training to deal with the special needs of residents with dementia. The staff is equipped to deal with difficult behaviors that can be a challenge for families.
• Did you know that a healthy diet is essential for people with Alzheimer’s disease? Memory care communities can provide nutritious meals that are designed to meet the needs of residents with dementia.
• Medication management is imperative for people with Alzheimer’s disease. Memory care communities can make sure that residents take their medication as prescribed.
• Giving your loved one freedom of choice is important, even when they have dementia. Some, but not all, memory care communities provide residents with the opportunity to make choices throughout the day, such as what they would like to eat or what activity they would like to participate in.
Memory care communities provide cognitive and social stimulation through activities, outings, and events specifically designed for residents with dementia.
Avanti Senior Living’s Approach to Memory Care
Salize, Avanti Senior Living’s memory care program, is designed to provide the highest quality of life for our residents. We believe that each resident is an individual with unique needs and preferences. Our care team gets to know each resident so that we can provide the best possible care.
We offer a full range of services, including 24-hour care, medication management, nutritious meals, social and cognitive activities, and much more. We also provide respite care for families who need a break. Our goal is to support the whole family, not just the
resident with dementia.
If your loved one needs more care than you are able to provide, a memory care community may be the best option. Moving your loved one into a memory care community does not mean that you are giving up on them or that you no longer love them. It simply means that you are making the best decision for their health and well-being.
Avanti Senior Living is here to support you through this difficult decision. We offer a variety of services to meet the needs of your loved one. Contact us today to learn more about our memory care program. We would be happy to answer any questions that you may have.