Wellness is defined as “the quality or state of being healthy in body and mind, especially as the result of deliberate effort” (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/wellness). In theory, wellness is the full integration of states of physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. The model below shows that wellness includes mental, physical, spiritual, social and lifestyle, and each of these dimensions interacts in a way that makes up your own quality of life. Whether your goal is to change your approach to health and make some major modifications, or just enhance your current journey to wellness, these tips can help you get there.
1. Mental Wellness: is the ability to open your mind to new ideas, experiences, and emotions that help you focus at work, overcome obstacles, get along with people around you. It is truly one of your greatest assets!
Tip: Challenge yourself by trying something new. What have you always wanted to do that you made an excuse not to try?
2. Physical Wellness: is the ability to maintain a healthy lifestyle that allows you to get through your daily activities without fatigue or physical stress, and to keep your body in top condition. Some of the components of physical wellness include building muscular and cardiovascular strength and endurance, as well as flexibility.
Tip: Get moving! Build more physical activity into your daily routine. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, park farther away from your campus destination, and take active study breaks.
3. Spiritual Wellness: is the ability to establish peace, harmony, and balance in your life. In any form, spirituality is always personal and unique to every individual. Its basis is discovering a sense of meaningfulness in your life and knowing you have a purpose.
Tip: Make an effort to be mindful, live in the moment, and appreciate life’s simple pleasures. When interacting with others, give your full attention.
4. Social Wellness: is the ability to relate to and connect with others, and includes developing and nurturing interdependent relationships and creating a support system. It also consists of the ability to adapt to various social situations and daily behaviors.
Tip: Join a club or sports team just for fun!
5. Lifestyle Wellness: is the ability to get personal fulfillment from your job while still maintaining balance in your life, both leisurely and at home.
Tip: Attend a networking event or presentation held by your professional organization. These events can spark new ideas and get you out of a job rut.
It’s important to realize that each of these dimensions combines and impacts your overall well-being. Each is equally important, so be sure to use these tips to integrate into your life!!